Letter knowledge is understanding that letters are different from one another and that they have different names and sounds.
There are many different ways to encourage letter knowledge in your child.
- Help your baby recognize simple shapes like circles and squares. When pointing out the shapes of toys, describe it out loud by saying, "This ball is round" and "This block has corners."
- Hang a mobile with different shapes over your baby's crib.
- Play with simple puzzles or have your older baby or toddler match items of the same shape.
- Read alphabet books and sing alphabet songs to introduce your baby or toddler to letters.
- When children are ready to learn about letters, start with letters that are the most interesting to them, such as the first letter of their name.
Check out this list of suggested books for developing letter knowledge skills.