Experience the Magic of Your Library
Libraries are places that inspire magic, filled with stories that can take you to extraordinary worlds. Since 2018, the Wizards & Wands Festival has embraced that sense of wonder by bringing books to life and creating an unforgettable experience for the Westerville area community. This signature event attracts thousands of visitors of all ages from across Central Ohio, those who already love the library and those who have never been inside the library before.
In 2022, we celebrated a wide variety of fantasy fandoms, inviting community members of all ages and passions to champion the power of stories.
October 1-31, 2022
Embark on fantasy-themed missions to earn points - then use those points to claim tickets for chances at prize drawings. The more missions you complete, the more chances you have to win! For all ages.
Prizes include baskets full of goodies.
Choose your missions:
- Attend a Library Event
- Design a Potion (Teen Room)
- Indiana Jones Treasure Hunt (Second Floor)
- Identify Magical Characters (Media Hallway)
- Magical Creature Scavenger Hunt (Children’s Area)
- Magical I Spy (Display Case near Teen Room)
- Magical Trivia (Digital Display in Atrium)
- Read a Magical Book
- Spot the Gold Challenge (Entrance to Westerville History Museum)
- Watch a Magical Movie
- Write a Knight Oath (Innovation Lab)
Watch this video tutorial to show you how to enter prize drawings:
Performances & Activities
Registration required; opens 14 days in advance.
Magical Wonderland: Walk-Through Experience
Your library will be transformed into a magical wonderland with fantasy-themed décor throughout the building.
- Hilda the Dragon (State Street Entrance) - If she's feeling feisty, this 30-foot, smoke-breathing dragon may roar and light up every 30 minutes from 5-9pm.
- Enchanted Forest (Children’s Area) – Weave through moss-covered toadstools and tree stumps to uncover fairies, mermaids, unicorns, and more.
- Dragon Hatchery (Homework Help Center) – Discover dragons of all shapes, sizes, and…roars!
- Sanderson’s Apothecary (Teen Room) – Pore over potions while sharing the room with slimy toads, furry rats, and even a few animal skeletons.
- The Armory (Media Department) – Discover whether you’re the rightful heir to the throne by inspecting the Excalibur sword in the stone. Study the elaborate iconography used to decorate medieval swords, shields, banners, and suits of armor.
- Banquet Hall & Castle (Second Floor) – Through the colorful glow of stained-glass windows and draped tapestries, transport yourself to another place and time. Be sure to examine each table setting, inspired by a different fantasy fandom.
- Medieval Village (Mallway) – Explore 3D storefronts like Wee Beasties Pet Shop, Fairy Tale Realty, and Sanderson Bed & Breakfast.
October 28, 2022 (5-9pm)
Experience the magic of your library with spellbinding performers during Midnight Madness in Uptown Westerville. For all ages. Costumes encouraged. Admission is free.
All performances will be held outside. You are welcome and encouraged to bring your own blankets, chairs, coats, umbrellas, or anything else to make your experience more comfortable.
While here, you can walk through the library, complete fantasy-themed missions for a chance at prize drawings, and visit the 30-foot smoke-breathing Hilda the Dragon, perched on the library’s roof.
Rain or shine. Performances may be cancelled in the case of extreme weather. Though the library building will be open, the drive-thru and some regular library services will be unavailable during this time.
About the Dragon
This 30-foot, smoke-breathing dragon will be perched on the library’s roof from October 1-31, keeping a watchful eye on State Street. Drawn to the magic of the library, she roars and lights up every 30 minutes from 5-9pm.
The dragon was affectionately named Hilda based on suggestions from library visitors in 2019. Hilda is an art installation made of steel, wood, vinyl, foam, and latex.
Designed and created by The Point at Otterbein University, opens a new window. Sponsored by the Friends of the Westerville Public Library, opens a new window.