Turn your ideas into reality. Design a project, then send it to the library to be printed. The library's 3D printers use your digital file, plastic filament and heat to "paint" your three-dimensional object layer by layer.
- Create a prototype for potential investors.
- Design a model or replica.
- Make a tool or replacement part.
- Build a prosthetic.
- Create art.
Note: Attach your file (.STL or .OBJ format) and include your library card number in your email.
How does it work?
Service available to anyone 18 years or older with a Westerville Library card in good standing. Minors must submit projects through a parent or guardian.
- Find, edit or create a project.
- Convert your file to format .STL or .OBJ.
- Email your project file and library card number to email@example.com.
- Within 2 business days, your project will be evaluated and library staff will contact you with a cost quote.
- Approve the quote.
- Within 14 days of approval, your project will be scheduled to print.
- Within 10 days of completion, you must pay for and pick up your project.
What else do I need to know?
- Cost: $1.50 per meter of filament*
- Filament: Library-supplied. No custom filament or custom colors will be accepted.
- File Format: .STL or .OBJ
- Melting Point: 190 degrees**
- Payment: Credit card, cash or check accepted.***
- Pickup: Upon completion, projects must be picked up from the Adult Services Desk within 10 days.****
- Schedule: Projects may be scheduled in advance up to 14 days.
- Size: Less than or equal to 223 x 223 x 305mm
*Cost is rounded up to the next whole meter.
**Be aware that due to the composition and melting point of the filament, projects may not be weather-proof or suitable for some household applications.
***Payment is due upon pickup of the completed project. If a project cannot be completed due to mechanical error on the part of the 3D printing machine, you will not be charged. Projects will be re-attempted once at the next available time.
****If you fail to pickup and pay for a project within 10 days, it will become the property of the library and the cost of the project will be added to your library card account as a fine.