Home > Local History
Westerville has a rich and varied history. It was the site of Underground Railroad activity, the Westerville Whiskey Wars and the printing headquarters of the worldwide recognized Anti-Saloon League of America.
The Local History Center at the Westerville Public Library is committed to preserving and sharing that history through collections of material of local and national interest.
Located at 110 S. State Street, the Local History Center can be accessed via the mallway of the library near the State Street entrance, visitors are welcome during business hours.
- Monday - Saturday: 9am to 6pm
- Closed on Saturday: 1-2pm
- Closed on Sunday
Contact Local History for more information or to make an appointment.
- Anti-Saloon League Museum: The Westerville Public Library also houses the Anti-Saloon League Museum. Westerville, formerly known as the Dry Capital of the World, was home to the printing headquarters of the Anti-Saloon League. Don't have time to visit? Explore the museum with this virtual tour.
- Facebook: Did your family grow up in Westerville? Wonder what Westerville was like back in the day? Want all of the juicy gossip about your hometown's history? Like Westerville History on Facebook to find out about Westerville's history or to share your Westerville story.
- John R. Kasich Congressional Collection: The Westerville Public Library is proud to house the John R. Kasich Congressional Collection, which includes papers and memorabilia from the distinguished political career of former Ohio Senator and United State Congressman, John R. Kasich.
- Local History Catalog: The Local History Center offers an online catalog to help you locate information about Westerville families, homes, businesses, government, schools and more. Once you find an item of interest, you can contact Local History for help in locating the item within the collection.
- Newsletters: Learn about various aspects of Westerville History from A Walk Through History, the Local History department's newsletter. Former newsletters include information about Westerville's role in the Civil War, the arrival of the telephone, famous Westerville families, notable Westerville business and more!
- Obituaries & Wedding Announcements: For genealogists and family historians, this collection includes obituaries and wedding announcements from local newspapers, 1880 to the present. Browse the collection.
- Westerville Local History Photographs Collection: Browse through over 5,000 images of Westerville throughout history, from the 1800s to present day. Included in this collection are images of prominent leaders in the community, Westerville-area landmarks, aerial views, high school classes, former businesses and houses. Great for Westerville history buffs, genealogists, real estate developers and more. Browse the collection.
- YouTube: Westerville has grown since the invention of film. Watch how it has changed and evolved through our YouTube channel.
Westerville's Sesquicentennial Anniversary
The Westerville Public Library created a time line of historic events and notable places from 1858 to 1909 for Westerville's Sesquicentennial Anniversary. Images can be viewed via the Westerville Library's Flickr account or by clicking the links below.
- Time Line: 1858 to 1909
- Time Line: 1909 to 1958
- Time Line: 1959 to 2008
Want more information about researching local history and genealogy? Check out our Genealogy Resources guide!